Monday, April 30, 2007

Grindhouse

Grindhouse
Watched at the AMC Cantera 30 in Warrenville IL on 4-14-07

I count myself very lucky. Coming of age when I did, I encountered much discussion on storytelling. It was the vogue of the time. I did not listen to artists discussing if a particular story was good. No, I heard artists discussing the art of storytelling. The making. The working. Each artist had their own take on the matter but it all boiled down to same thing. The true artist explores his own personal mythology. You find the hidden archetypes within the stories you love. For in those things you respond to, good or bad, are indicative of elements in your own psyche. Storytelling is not about writing the coolest dialogue or the most balls to the walls fist fight. You need those archetypes. They are the power behind a story. You pare the stories you love to the archetypical elements. The seeds of the story. You plant the seeds in the soil made from the detritus of your life. To do otherwise is failure.
-Jason Arcand
www.littleenandbigen.com

No comments: