Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory, viewed 3-30-07 at Paramount Theatre in Kankakee, IL

Why was I alone in not laughing during this movie. One line from Will Farrell made me smile but I could not remember it when talking to my wife afterwards.
"Must not of been that funny," she responds.
I have to agree. It really bothered me to be the only frowning person in this movie. Did I not enjoy it because I was in a bad mood? No. I was going on three hours of sleep and one giant shouting match with my boss when I saw Princess Mononoke. I loved that movie. I felt healed. Maybe I didn't enjoy the movie because it was in my hometown. I do hate my hometown. But I saw Blade, Nightmare Before Christmas, Y Tu Mama Tambien and countless other movies I loved at the very same theatre. It is even one of those cool renovated art-deco theaters. No the movie was just not funny.
I once read an article by a noted film critic discussing Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein. He explained the movie was funny and great because it followed the basic premise of an already good movie. Young Frankenstein explores all the same issues as Frankenstein. It just used humor instead of horror. There was a love of the source material. Unfortunately I found no love in Blades of Glory. The movie was mean spirited. I can not respect that. How is having a man skate as a peacock a loving nod to figure skating. The dance music was horrible. Freaking hair metal. Almost as bad as the GreatfullDead. I am going to stop here because I seek not to spew anymore venom. Suffice to say, after seeing Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction I will not tolerate any thing less.
-Jason
www.littleenandbigen.com

No comments: