Saturday, March 17, 2007

Invincible #39 by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley

Invincible #39 by Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, Bill Crabtree, and Russ Wooton and published by Image comics.

No matter what I may tell myself, I know secretly I read Invincible because it takes me back to when I used to play the Marvel Superheroes game from TSR. I was new to collecting comics and it was all a joy. It was exciting to grab the Marvel Handbooks and read about all these heroes and villains. A whole universe spread out before me.
The series also reminds me of how I read reading DC's Secret Origin "number whatever" that showed the secret origins of Dr. Light and the Substitute Legion of Heroes. The Legion of Substitute Heroes! A group of heroes who banded together because they were too lame to join the actual superhero group the Legion of Super-heroes. Chlorophyl Kid could make plants grow slower or faster after falling asleep in a vat of plant fertilizer he thought was a hot tub. Stone Boy could turn into an immovable stone statue. Night Lass has super-strength, but only at night. Fire Lad can breathe fire but has allergies that cause him to sneeze flames. And lastly, their leader Polar Lad, who can withstand cold temperatures without a coat. Being labeled a "nerd" and a "weirdo" by my classmates, I could identify with these losers.
-Jason
www.littleenandbigen.com

No comments: